YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Don't Knock It Till You've Tried It... Easter and Fruit Salad

Happy Resurrection Day!


What a glorious day that this Easter has been for me. I woke up this morning with trembles running through my body...my Savior is alive! At midnight last night, I decided to look at some Easter music and stumbled upon Kari Jobe's new song "Forever." I fell in love with the song and spent some time practicing so I could sing it at church this morning. If you are in the mood for some good "Holy Ghost" bumps, check out her song on YouTube.


If you family is like my family, we celebrate every holiday with food. Today, for example, we had two family dinners (breakfast pre-church and lunch). I wanted to share one of my favorite springtime recipes for a fruit salad. It's always a hit and packed with lots of fruity goodness.

Let me preface this recipe with these two facts:
1. This is not healthy even though it is fruity.
2. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

The kicker to this recipe is kinda crazy: mayo. <---not a spoon licking ingredient.

My mom first made this recipe for a popular local restaurant where people were paying big bucks to purchase it by the pound. I dare say very few of them knew about the mayo. The good news is that you can't taste it or see it, but without it, the recipe just wouldn't be the same.

Fruit Salad
(Not sure about the total servings, but you're going to need a big bowl)

3 Red Delicious Apples
3 Granny Smith Apples (I like the sour kick, but you could sub red apples here)
1/2 Pound of Grapes (Seedless, green or red)
4 Bananas
1 20 Oz. Can of Pineapple Chunks
1/2 cup of Mayo (I don't recommend the "salad dressing" styles here)
Ground Cinnamon to taste (1 tsp?)
16 Oz. Cool Whip

1. Prep the fruit:
-Dice apples into small bites (my bites are small for little mouths)
-Cut the grapes in half
-Slice bananas
-Drain pineapple

2. Mix the fruit together.

3. Add mayo until the fruit has a light coating. You can add more mayo or decrease the amount as desired/needed.

4. Add ground cinnamon. I'm a big cinnamon fan so I add somewhere around a tablespoon, but a teaspoon is sufficient. You could prob even omit this if you aren't a fan.

5. Mix in the Cool Whip.

6. Lick the spoon :) Best when served chilled on same day. Also does great over night.

I'm going to include a picture here to show you the consistency to be achieved. I am not a food photographer so this makes the salad look less than appetizing...but please don't let it stop you from making it. My salad also looks darker than most because I add extra cinnamon.

 
 
Finally, I wanted to share this picture from our drive to church this morning. It was around 8 AM at the Winding Stairs gap in Franklin, NC. The clouds were low, so as we topped the mountain, we rose above the cloud. Big Sis kept asking if she could go walking on them.
 
Honestly, I would have loved to have seen Jesus step right out on them and join us for our Easter service :)
 
 
 
What a mighty God we serve!
 
Until next time,
Kat


1 comment:

  1. Kat,
    I'm so glad you started a blog! I love hearing from college peeps. :) Thank you so much for your donation! That was super sweet of you guys. Love seeing pictures of your girls!

    ReplyDelete